Monday, November 27, 2006

There is No "I" in Courtesy

Whenever I get e-mails from those who disagree with the concept of E-mail Etiquette, there is always an abundance of "I"s. For example:

"I prefer to..."
"I think it is up to me..."
"I do what I want when..."
"I do it because..."
"Why can't I decide..."

Courtesy and manners is not about you. It is about taking the time to realize the considerations and issues that can affect others. E-mail Etiquette is about using technology with knowledge, understanding and courtesy. Not about what you prefer to do to the exclusion of all else.

What do I say to those whose only excuse to not practice proper E-mail Etiquette is I, I, I? I simply explain that the bottom line is that they can choose to do what they like and disregard established guidelines and common courtesy when it comes to E-mail Etiquette. That is their choice to make and one which will determine how they will be perceived by those they communicate with.

To be always thinking about your manners is not the way to make them good; the very perfection of manners is not to think about yourself.
~ Richard Whately

No comments: