Friday, July 06, 2007

E-mail Etiquette = Courtesy

I've been tracking discussions on E-mail Etiquette for over a decade. Just recently the topic has become one of serious discussion now that everyone is writing a book on E-mail Etiquette. That's fine with me! The more legitimacy this topic is given by virtue of those trying to make money off of it -- is good PR as they say.

Me? I've been writing and publishing my books simply to get the word out. I've never considered this my profit-zone. My book sales help support my online costs and allow me to continue to support this important topic, that unlike other authors, I am passionate about, practice what I preach in the process and am not into for the money.

Recently, I've seen a trend of folks striking out against all this talk about e-mail etiquette. From one liner e-mails with no greetings being just fine -- "...e-mail after all is only extended IM." Or, even comments about "...why take the time to type all this ancillary nicey stuff? Just type what you mean and that should be good enough!"

E-mail Etiquette, as does any other form of etiquette, exists as a way to reflect courtesy for others. The day you feel that courtesy is no longer necessary and that only what you want to do or are willing to do is sufficient, is the day that you leave part of your humanity behind.

There is nothing wrong with taking the time to use technology properly and to ensure that your actions are perceived positively by the other side. To reflect courtesy for those you communicate with, to me, is time well spent.

2 comments:

Rodney said...

Yet more great advice to trigger our awareness! People seem to think they can do as they like because "it's only an email", without realising they are displaying their personality to their recipient. Particularly when they've already been asked not to do the sort of things Judith warns about: all the names in the To field, huge attachments, redirecting whatever they choose regardless of the recipient's values, allowing Incredimail to add its own junk that increases the size of the message. Some even boast about their 'personal freedom' not to take notice of requests! Others boast about how seldom they check their email, yet expect everybody they send to will immediately reply to them kindly!

Judith said...

Rodney -- you hit the nail on the head! Your personality will be on display based on how you chose to e-mail! Like it or not...

Thanks for stopping by! ;-)

Judith
NetManners.com