Monday, November 13, 2006

A Little Courtesy Goes a Long Way

I was wacked with the cold of the century last weekend. It was the first time since I started my Technology Consulting business over 10 years ago that I did not at the very least check e-mail on Saturday.

I didn't go near my computer on Saturday or Sunday, the reason being just to have to think seemed too much of a challenge - this cold kicked me in the butt! So, I spent the weekend on the couch with my new best friend a box of tissues.

The reason I make a point of at least checking e-mail on Saturdays is to keep my inbox clear and to address any emergencies (perceived or otherwise) that may have come up. Not doing so this past Saturday left me with over 1,500 e-mails to wade through on Monday morning.

What I soon experienced, once again, was the marked difference in the way folks use e-mail to communicate with those they need assistance from. It seems to be one extreme or another! Either they put the effort into being courteous, friendly and someone you don't mind responding to, or they are terse, demanding and downright rude. Based on my experience with the latter, those folks many times don't realize they are coming off in that manner.

Several who wondered why I had not responded in my usual prompt fashion, offered encouragement that the cold would soon move on and the worst was over. They also sent along their favorite beverage recipes to help keep these annoying symptoms at bay. These folks brought a smile to my face and reminded me of one of the reasons I so enjoy technology. There are so many nice people out there that you will never meet who do not hesitate to send a kind word your way.

Then, there were others sending follow ups insinuating I was ignoring them, that I didn't consider their request important and demanding that I respond immediately! Wow.... I miss e-mail on one Saturday in over 10 years and we jump to these conclusions?

Remember, what our mothers used to say? You attract more bees with honey. One could say, why attract bees since they might sting you - but then that is the risk we take every day in communicating with those we do not know very well don't we? That's where a little E-mail Etiquette comes in!

The way I look at it is I will always respond with courtesy and friendliness by giving the other side the benefit of the doubt. But, when I receive e-mails that are accusatory or based on a false premise, senders shouldn't get their underwear in a bundle when that is pointed out to them in a factual and informative manner.

A little courtesy goes a long way. Please, thank you, appreciate your help all, Is everything O.K.? all lend to you being perceived as though everything isn't all about you. Because, you know what, it isn't.

Time for more cold medicine ...

No comments: